The Student.

How awesome would it have been to have learned from and studied under the Apostle Paul? Reading today through the books of 1 and 2 Timothy, I could not help but ponder it. What must it have been like to glean from his God-given wisdom? To have received one of his letters, written in his own hand, addressed personally to you and chalked full of charges and encouragements? To have spoken to him, be known to him by name? Yet as my mind contemplated these things, a realization began to sink in. I am Paul’s student. Just as he taught Timothy, so he also teaches me. But wait, there is so much more! Not only do I have Paul as an instructor, but a Bible full of divine mentors. Yet even this does not come near to what follows.

I have the Holy Spirit. What a marvelous Instructor! He guides me with His truth, intercedes for me deeper than I can imagine and more than I can fathom! I have the world’s greatest Instructor, a gift to me by Christ Himself, but how many classes have I skipped? How many lessons have I left unlearned. How I would drop anything to listen to the apostle Paul speak for hours, yet I neglect mere minutes with the Holy Spirit due to my supposedly busy schedule. How foolish am I?!

Holy Spirit, I want to learn from you. Forgive me for neglected lessons and plugged ears. Forgive me for times I have come to you unteachable, with an unwilling heart. Help me to listen, not only to hear; to learn and not only be taught. I want Your Truth. Teach me your ways, open my ears to hear Your voice. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

“And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn't looking for him and doesn't recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you. But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative--that is, the Holy Spirit--he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.” John 14:16-17, 26

“But you must remain faithful to the things you have been taught. You know they are true, for you know you can trust those who taught you. All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.” 2 Timothy 3:14,16-17

This entry was posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2012. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply